In the Context of the machining,A cutting tool is a tool that is used to remove substance from the workpiece by means of shear deformation. The Cutting may be skilled/expert by single-point or multi-point tools. Single-point tools are used in turning, shaping, planing and similar operations, and get rid of substance by means of one cutting edge. Milling and drilling tools are often multi-point tools.
Cutting tools should be made of a substance harder than the substance which is to be cut, and the tool must be able to remain undamaged to the heat generated in the metal-cutting process. The Cutting tool must have a particular geometry, with clearance angles designed so that the cutting edge can touching the workpiece without the rest of the tool dragging on the workpiece surface. The angle of the cutting face is also crucial/vital as is the flute width, number of flutes or teeth, and margin size. In order to have a prolonged working life, all of the above factors must be optimized along with the speeds and exist on at which the tool is run.
The Some of the Applications of the Cutting tools are
1. High Speed Steel tools (The life increased 3 to 30 times).
2. Carbide tools (The life increased 2 to 5 times).
3. Isolates the tool from the part and avoids edge buildup and tool cratering.
4. The Reduced friction against workpiece and chips, reduced spindle torque, less vibrations, better finish.
The some of the benefits of the cutting tools are
1. The Cutting tool toughness.
2. Superior wear resistance and the resistance to cratering.
3. Resistance to thermal deformations.
4. It has a very High modulus of elasticity.
5. The Chemical inertness.
6. Compressive strength.